Friday, May 21, 2010

My Lover Gave Me Green Leaves by Josephine Dickinson

So sorry that I missed two Poetry Fridays in a row. There has been a lot going on in my life. My mother was hospitalized recently. She is now no longer living on her own. Fortunately, she isn’t far from me—so I can visit with her often. She has plenty of family around to cheer her and help her with this transitional period in her life.

Last Saturday, we had a bridal shower for my daughter. The weather was beautiful. The place where we had the shower was lovely. It was so much fun to have family and close friends there to help celebrate this special occasion for my only child. I was just sad that my mother couldn't be there.
My Husband, Sara, & I

We made mimosas and bellinis and lemon pops. We had lots of yummy brunch food and two delicious gourmet cakes from Cakes for Occasions in Danvers, Massachusetts.
FYI: Dad didn't stay for the shower. He was only there to help me drop off food and wine--and later to help load up our car with shower gifts to transport to my daughter's house.
***************
Since I have love and marriage on my mind, I selected the following poem by Josephine Dickinson to post today.

My Lover Gave Me Green Leaves
by Josephine Dickinson

My lover gave me green leaves
with the mud of the garden on them,
radishes sharp and red,
nasturtium flames.

He gave me the tender heart
of a cabbage, its glossy coat,
a loaf of bread studded deep
with seeds.

He gave me the note
the blackbird
I’d cried at the blackness of
by the river sang.

He gave me the struck fire
of the thoughts
in his mind—
flint on flint.


You can read the rest of the poem here.

The Shower Cakes
LEMON

RED VELVET

At Wild Rose Reader, I have a special bridal shower post with a few more shower photos and three silly little poems that I wrote for the occasion.

Laura Salas is doing the Poetry Friday Roundup this week.

6 comments:

Grace Lin said...

it looks like a beautiful day...and those cakes loook yummy!

Elaine Magliaro said...

So sorry you couldn't make it. We look forward to seeing you and Squatchie at the wedding. Pray for cool weather. I hate hot and humid.

P.S. The wedding cakes are even yummier!!!

jama said...

"He gave me a drop of dew to hold"

Love the poem. And the cakes, of course! Hope you all have beautiful weather on the big day!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I hope the weather is as perfect on her wedding day as it was the day of the shower--sunny, dry, and in the seventies.

Libby Koponen said...

What a happy occasion -- and those drinks. :=)

I love the poem, especially the last line: great image. "Flint on flint" sounds good to me when it comes to a partnership.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Libby,

The drinks were a big hit--especially the bellinis. It was truly a happy occasion. We had good food, good wine, good people--and lots of poetry.