Wednesday, September 27, 2006

1,000 Handkerchiefs

There are some days when my job seems kind of ridiculous. Yesterday I spent an entire day obsessing about the head dress for the bird below, a character for a new book I'm working on. It is not really ridiculous. I mean, she has to look just right! But a whole day? Sheesh.

First she started out with glasses and no kerchief. But, thanks to input from the BRG's, they helped me see that she was looking too old and not girly enough.



So I added a kerchief with flowers. But she was still looking kind like a hip granny, not the nerdy little girl she was supposed to.



So I nixed the glasses and repainted her face. But the pattern didn't seem right yet.



This one was brighter and more cheerful, but not right either.



I think I got it with this one.



Its hard to tell sometimes when a painting is finished, but sometimes you just know it and then you are done. I love reaching that point. Where you stop debating shades of pink and let your painting leave your desk so it can go out into the world and live its own life.

7 comments:

alvinaling said...

Awww. So funny. Yes, love the polkadots, the flower is the perfect touch, and I think she looks younger without the glasses. So sweet!

Meghan McCarthy said...

Anna, I had to laugh! I do that sort of thing all the time. It's great to see it laid out. Love the finish!

meghan

Nancy said...

I love the finish too!

Grace Lin said...

So sweet! I think you really captured it...can't wait to see more of her!

Libby Koponen said...

I like how DETERMINED she looks (that walk) and how smart. Abigail is adorable without being cute, if that makes any sense. And I love her little outfit which looks carefully chosen for school.

This picture gives me a strong impression of who she IS and makes me want to read her story.

I love it! And it was really interesting to see the different versions of her. I have to admit that I miss the glasses, but I do think she looks younger without them (maybe she can put them on at certain moments: to read or something).

Jarrett J. Krosoczka said...

anna- i love this style of yours! thanks for posting the progress! it's so relatable!

Linda S. Wingerter said...

Oh, she IS perfect now. Lovely, Anna.