Friday, April 13, 2007

POETRY FRIDAY POTPOURRI #2

PART I

For this Poetry Friday I have a poem that was written by one of my favorite adult poets, Wislawa Szymborska. Szymborska was the winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1996. The poem I selected to share is entitled The Joy of Writing. I felt it was a most appropriate poem choice for me at this time because I have committed myself to posting an original poem at Wild Rose Reader every day during National Poetry Month.


THE JOY OF WRITING
by Wislawa Szymborska

Why does this written doe bound through these written woods?

For a drink of written water from a spring
whose surface will xerox her soft muzzle?
Why does she lift her head; does she hear something?
Perched on four slim legs borrowed from the truth,
she pricks up her ears beneath my fingertips.
Silence - this word also rustles across the page
and parts the boughs
that have sprouted from the word "woods."

Lying in wait, set to pounce on the blank page,
are letters up to no good,
clutches of clauses so subordinate
they'll never let her get away.

Click here to read the rest of the poem.

Biography of Wislawa Szymborska

Szymborska’s Nobel Lecture: The Poet and the World. (If you like poetry, you will definitely want to read this lecture.)


PART II

Check out the following blogs during the month of April

GottaBook: Gregory K. is posting an original poem every day of April.

Poetry for Children: Sylvia Vardell has a bunch of super poetry posts for National Poetry Month.

A Wrung Sponge: Cloudscome has compiled a wonderful collection of original haiku poetry and gorgeous photographs that express the elemental beauty of nature.

PART III

Here are links to some of the original poems I have for you at Wild Rose Reader

PART IV

My Space: If you’d like to take a peek at the library/office where I keep all my children’s books and write my blogs and poems, check out my post Where I Work.



4 comments:

Michele said...

Ooh I like that Szymborska poem !! Thanks so much for sharing !

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a great poem selection! Thanks for including the link to my haiku too. I can't help but notice you are posting at 12:30 am - got to be the earliest poetry for this Friday!!!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Michele and Cloudscome,

I actually went looking for two other poems written by Szymborska when I found "The Joy of Writing" at the Nobel website. I thought it was great, too!

Cloudscome, I'm a real night owl. Sometimes I post at 3:00 AM!

Marinela said...

Great poems :)
Thanks so much for sharing :)