Friday, April 20, 2007

POETRY FRIDAY POTPOURRI #3

FAVORITE POEM PROJECT & POETRY INSTITUTE FOR EDUCATORS

The Sixth Annual Poetry Institute for Educators will be held at Boston University from July 16-20, 2007
Application Deadline: May 14, 2007
Read about the 2007 institute here.

NOTE: I participated in the first poetry institute, which was held in 2001. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I got to meet other teachers and school administrators who shared my passion for poetry. We discussed poetry with award-winning poets like Robert Pinsky, a former US Poet Laureate, Mark Doty, David Ferry, and Rosanna Warren. We educators worked in groups (elementary, middle school, and high school) to develop poetry lessons and favorite poem activities for teachers. I still keep in touch with one of the teachers I met at Boston University that summer. We meet several times a year to share and critique each other’s poetry.

You can find Favorite Poem Poetry Lesson Plans here.

You can read a summary of a poetry research project I conducted in my second grade classroom in 1993 here.

A Favorite Poem: On the last day of the 2001 institute, participants were invited to share favorite poems or lessons developed by their groups during the week. I chose to share Naomi Shihab Nye’s Valentine for Ernest Mann. It expresses my feelings about poetry better than I could ever hope to do.


AT WILD ROSE READER

A Poem a Day #14: Snake Soliloquy (A Mask Poem)
A Poem a Day #15: Blue Whale’s Boast (A Mask Poem)
A Poem a Day #16: Just a Scentimental Guy (A Mask Poem)
A Poem a Day #17: Unicorn (An Acrostic Poem)
A Poem a Day #18: Lucky Mary (A Nursery Rhyme Parody)
A Poem a Day #19: Humpty Dumpty on the Hot Seat (A Nursery Rhyme Parody)
A Poem a Day #20: Grizzly Bear (A Mask Poem)
Sunday Brunch with Janet Wong & Company
Interview with Douglas Florian
I Am Looking for a Poem About...#1

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Elaine, the "Valentine for Ernest Mann" is just fabulous. Thanks so much for pointing me to it!