Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Good news

Yesterday I went into Charlesbridge publishing to meet with the art director to go over the proof (color prints of illustrations + text) for the book I recently illustrated, Priscilla and the Hollyhocks. To my great surprise they have gotten poet extraordinaire Nikki Giovanni to write a quote for the back cover! Here is a sneak peak at her quote:

"Priscilla and the Hollyhocks tells a story too often ignored or overlooked- a story of how the west was not won but captured. Reading about Priscilla's remarkable life makes all our hearts a bit warmer while filling our heads with a much-needed piece of American history."

So cool!

2 comments:

alvinaling said...

Wow--congratulations! That's fantastic.

Libby Koponen said...

Yes, congratulations.

I got to see the proofs when I visited and the paintings are BEAUTIFUL..the colors are richer and deeper and more varied/subtle in real life than on Anna's post. I thought Charlesbridge did a great job with the cover, too: not just the quote from Nikki Giovanni but the whole design.

I bet the book will win some big awards--I hope it's not bad luck to say that!!!! But I really do think this book is beautiful. Congratulations, Anna!