Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Two weeks to go


The art for my book Abigail Spells (see paintings from it here and here) is due two weeks from today, so I am feverishly going back over my paintings and finishing everything up. I don't know why I bother trying to finish paintings in the beginning, I always go back at the end and change things. Towards the end of a project like this I do each painting half way and then finish them all off at once.

Anyways, my world is kind of small right now, so not a lot to post about. I am obsessed with color and pattern. Yesterday I went to the bakery next to my apartment to get some bread and the lady behind the counter was dressed just like Abigail! She had a red handkerchief on her head and a blue polka dot shirt (Abigail's favorite pattern). So went home and changed Abigail's shirt once again to look like the bakery lady's... I just can't make up my mind!

Here are some other patterns/color combos I've been using for inspiration:





I just love the color combination in this picture, I try to incorporate it into paintings wherever it seems like it could work:

4 comments:

Anna M. Lewis said...

I love those patterns!!!

(Some people don't get it. I love seeing a color palette that is unique/inspiring/emotional.)

Good luck with finishing!

Libby Koponen said...

Ooo, I love the green and yellow -- and of course the Marimekko. I was just looking at the green peony last night trying to decide if I liked it enough to make a dress out of it!

Good luck in the final days and I can't wait to see the finished pages.

Libby

Anna Alter said...

Thanks guys!

Anonymous said...

Anna,

You post the most delicious bits! Love seeing your inspirations, sketches, color. Toute! (Did I spell it right??)

Katherine