Friday, September 05, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY: To the Light of September

September is my favorite month of the year. The beginning of the month is touched with tinges of summer--but without the oppressive humidity and searing temperatures. The nights are comfortable for sleeping. Even the crickets seem to strum their songs more loudly. By the end of the month, autumn has taken hold. There’s a slight chill in the evening air…and the leaves of some of the broadleaf trees have started to change color. Early fall is a glorious time here in New England.

Here’s my poetry selection for the first Poetry Friday in September:


To the Light of September
by W. S. Merwin

When you are already here
you appear to be only
a name that tells of you
whether you are present or not

and for now it seems as though
you are still summer
still the high familiar
endless summer
yet with a glint
of bronze in the chill mornings
and the late yellow petals
of the mullein fluttering
on the stalks that lean
over their broken
shadows across the cracked ground


You can read the rest of the poem here.



********************

At Wild Rose Reader, I have Let America Be America Again by Langston Hughes.

I’m doing the Poetry Friday Roundup at Wild Rose Reader this week. Click here and leave a comment and the URL of your Poetry Friday post.


5 comments:

Tricia said...

We must be on the same wavelength. I almost selected Merwin's poem The Unwritten this week. At the last minute I changed my mind.

I do love this poem and your thoughts about September. Fall is my favorite season, so October and November are my favorite months.

Anonymous said...

I love fall, too (and posted about it a few weeks back). That poem was delicious. Pass the blue plums, please.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

I love October, too--especially when all the leaves have turned brilliant colors. Although I like Novemeber, I think the month may be lovelier in Virginia than Massachusetts.


Kelly,

Yes, fall is the grandest of seasons. Glad you liked the poem.

Mary Lee said...

We had Summer-September (high 90's) all week, but yesterday, Fall-September showed up with 70 degrees, bright skies, hints of color in some of the trees. YAY! Fall is here!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! My favorite lines:

with blue plums
that have fallen through the night

Fall seems to come that way here in Minnesota--suddenly, beautifully, irreversibly...