Wednesday, September 22, 2010

what's wrong with scroggins...

I've been busy working at the bookstore for the past few days so I haven't been able to get to the blog but now I have and I've read Alvina's post and now "Scroggins."

I got stock on this:
"For example, my review of the eighth-grade sex education curriculum revealed that children at the middle school are being introduced to concepts such as homosexuality, oral sex, anal sex and specific instructions on how to use a condom and have sex"

I don't want to get all political here, but ehem, dear I mention a girl with the last name of Palin? She might have been served well with a little lesson or two. That's all I'll say about that.

Please tell me there are intelligent Republicans out there and this isn't becoming a thing where if you say "Republican" it goes in tandem with the above and below beliefs/quotes. I HOPE people can think for themselves and not just become a bunch of sheep! Anyhow, I read on and then I got to where this guy got to talking about the book and movie Speak. I LOVED the book Speak. I also recently watched the movie. I didn't love the movie. I thought it fell way short. It was missing that something that the book had. But what this guy says about both the book and movie is just CRAZY. Is he on another planet?

"One such book is called "Speak." They also watch the movie. This is a book about a very dysfunctional family. Schoolteachers are losers, adults are losers and the cheerleading squad scores more than the football team. They have sex on Saturday night and then are goddesses at church on Sunday morning. The cheer squad also gets their group-rate abortions at prom time. As the main character in the book is alone with a boy who is touching her female parts, she makes the statement that this is what high school is supposed to feel like. The boy then rapes her on the next page. Actually, the book and movie both contain two rape scenes."

Rape happens. It's sad, but true. Does this guy want to pretend that it doesn't? Speak is an amazing book for kids who need to deal with such a thing AND I think need to deal with anything that's happened in their lives and need to talk to someone but can't. I really identified with the book because when I was a teen I was teased a lot and I never told my parents about it. I felt just like the main character. I could feel her pain and knew just what it was like not to speak, only for different reasons. So even though I was never raped, I could still identify with the characters need not to speak. I think a lot of kids will identify for different reasons just as I did.

And not everyone goes to church on sunday. Get over it. Really. It isn't a sin. And for god sake, "a boy who is touching her female parts..." He describes this as if this never happens in teenage life. Rrrright. As if this is unholy or something. "Female parts." What? Weird. It's called dating and "making out," etc. Kids do it. Get a grip. And the movie did not make it seem like it was fun to get an abortion or like it was a fad or like everyone was doing it. This guy is just making stuff up! It's like he doesn't like the subject matter so he's just going to exaggerate or outright lie so that others avoid what he's asking them to avoid. It makes me sick. These people are trying to spread fear and paranoia and lies. And that's how they get followers. I hope this guy doesn't get far with his message because he's WRONG. Watch the film and read the book and make up your own mind! Please!

meghan

3 comments:

Jamie Blair said...

Please don't think all Republicans are crazy like Scroggins. Some aren't even Christians which is the basis for Scroggins' complaints. This is one man with extreme beliefs and thankfully, he's the minority.

Great post!

Meghan McCarthy said...

Well, I was hoping not! My dad, who is a retired social worker and WAS VERY liberal his whole life has somehow become somewhat of a republican... I think mainly because of the things he had seen and dealt with while working in the welfare department. He could tell you some stories. It's sad, but true. This is scary but he voted for Bush the first time around! Thankfully he voted for Obama this time. So he does think for himself. He's not crazy! So that's why I KNOW not all Republicans are nutty religious fanatics.

I will admit that sometimes I'm not always so liberal myself. I'm very liberal when it comes to social things but not so much when it comes to economic things and I think this comes from listening to my parents who are both social workers.

Christine Tripp said...

Religion (whatever it's form) has always been the basis for trouble in our world. No different this time.

Thank G (funny huh?) for publishers that do not back down from controversy.... in fact that's the very thing that will launch this book/story higher then anyone could imagine.

PS seems parents can get less Liberal the older they get. My parents, from Canada, had never owned a gun, nor ever THOUGHT of owning a gun, until they retired, became "Snow Birds", retired to Florida and then started to believe all the racism spewed on them by the locals. Perhaps we live in a bubble in Canada, not sure, but my parents did change.