Thursday, December 30, 2010

Which I with sword will open?








Our loyal readers may remember that Grace, Alvina and I learned how to open oysters, because I was writing an article about it for my local PATCH. Here's the article, with videos and photographs by Alvina.

WE were all able to open our oysters on the first try, but they didn't want me to put that in the piece, in case readers couldn't. But I honestly think that if you follow the instructions, especially the crucial first step which tells you how to choose oysters that will be EASY to open, you'll be able to do it, too.

And do slurp them down as soon as you open them: a few of us here in town tested the instructions again last night, and as someone said, eating oysters that fresh is like gulping sea mist. A child who was present and insisted on tasting one said, predictably,
'"Yuck!"

No one was sorry that he didn't like them.

And if this post must be tied more directly to children's books, isn't this a great way to describe someone?

"Secret, and self-contained, and soliatary as an oyster,"
Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

No comments: