Saturday, February 25, 2012

Asian American Author Series






Last summer (pre-baby bulge!), I participated in an Asian American Author Series of interviews for Primary Source. Other authors in the series include the lovely Mitali Perkins, Jean Kwok and GB Tran. Here is a excerpt of one of my interview (you can see more here):




I actually had forgotten what I had said about the "Little House" books until recently. But even though "Ma hating Indians" made me feel insecure about my own racial identity, I wouldn't have them censor out Ma's hatred, now. I didn't like it, but it was true sentiment and one that showed how even good people could believe/feel things that weren't right. When I began to witness different kinds of racism--Asians against Blacks, Chinese against Japanese, Asian-Americans against Asians-- that sometimes originated from people I trusted and loved,  books like "Little House" set the groundwork for me to realize that what the adults around me thought weren't always the right things to think, especially when it came to things like race.

3 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

Sad but interesting and I'm really glad you posted this. And knowing Laura and Pa liked Indians mitigates it a little....but still, it's sad all around.

Meghan McCarthy said...

Well... I haven't read the Little House books but my perspective is this: it would have been realistic for them to be afraid of Indians since they were pioneers. I don't think we should be rewriting history just to make everyone love each other. Perhaps this is coming from me as a nonfiction author and as someone who far more enjoys watching documentaries than fiction movies.

Libby Koponen said...

Meghan, I wasn't saying anyone should rewrite history, or books. I am always against that!

I was and am saying that it makes me sad that people were like that and it's even more sad for children to feel (probably correctly) that there are people out there who will just look at them and not like them, without ever even knowing them.