Monday, February 26, 2007

Done Done Done Done Done



This is me, and the finished illustrations for Priscilla, which has been officially delivered to the art department at Charlesbridge publishing. Hurray! Its such a strange feeling, looking over the dozen or so pieces of paper that occupied my attention for every waking moment for the past several months, and then leaving them in someone else's hands. When I come down to my studio in the morning, it takes a minute before I realize there is not a painting on my desk, burning for attention, and although its nice to have my free time back, it is a little disorienting.

Maybe one reason certain personality types are drawn towards becoming artists (or writers), is that we have the burning desire to simplify life. When a painting or manuscript becomes your focus every waking minute (and I don't mean that you work constantly- but that even when you're not working you're somehow engaged with the creative process, that some part of your brain is still mulling over what color to choose, what composition to build...), everything else gets swept aside into a less important "deal with it later" spot. And when you finish that project, it is so deeply satisfying that the surface ups and downs going on around you don't affect you as much. It is stabilizing to operate this way.

But you can't always be that involved in your work. Groceries need to be bought, floors need to be swept, and cars need to be dug out of the snow. Which for now is fine with me. I missed having a food in my fridge!

9 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

You must feel a certain amount of relief...and pride. I look forward to the publication of this book. Thanks for involving us readers in your bookmaking process.

Linda S. Wingerter said...

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!!!!

Congratulations, Anna. It's a real beauty. I can't wait to own this book.

Grace Lin said...

Congrats!! Can't wait to see it in all together, printed--it's going to be great!

Anonymous said...

Wow Anna! Thank you so much for sharing your floor of amazing art. It is wonderful, like Elaine mentions, to see the illustrator's bookmaking process. Hope you get all your favorite foods in your fridge soon.

Jeff Newman said...

Congrats Anna!

gail said...

Anna,

Your description of being totally engaged in the creative process is spot on! Sometimes when that little voice in the back of my mind tells me to give up, that's all I have to do is wonder, but what would I do then!

So after you shop and sweep and dig your car out, what's next on your drawing board?

Congrats!!
gail

Anna Alter said...

Thanks guys!

Up next I've planned March to be a month to promote, I'll be doing a bunch of school visits and attending a couple book festivals... its good to get out in the world when you've been cooped up for awhile!

Libby Koponen said...

Great photo -- and beautiful paintings, NOT in that order! Bravo Anna, I can't wait to see them in real life.

libby

alvinaling said...

Yay, Anna! I can't wait to see the finished book. Congratulations!