Sunday, May 06, 2007

My new space

As promised, here are pics from the new office.

First, the building (picture taken from my coworker Ben's flickr site). Looks like your standard office building, doesn't it?:
And now my space. I have to say, I'm really happy with my windowed cube. Who knew that losing a door but gaining a window would be so nice. It helps that I'm set back from the hallway, so I have a lot of privacy, too.



And it's funny, I unpacked and settled in and had a nice, neat, organized cube, and felt a little at a loss. I couldn't concentrate or remember what I needed to work on. But by the end of the week, I had my piles again and have been productive. It's funny how differently people work, what environments they need.

As for my commute, it's not as enjoyable, but the good thing is that it takes me exactly 30 minutes to walk, whereas my old commute through Central Park took about 35-40 minutes. So at least that's a small consolation. And it's helped that the weather in NY all last week was absolutely gorgeous. And another bright spot--this is my view as I approach the office:

I love the Chrysler building!


One great feature of the new office is that we have a center atrium. I'm not sure when the novelty will wear off, but for now, I'm fascinated with it. You can look across the atrium and see colleages hard at work across the way, you can see into some of the conference rooms, see into the kitchen. Here's another pic taken by Ben:There are also two glass elevators. Here's the view from one of them:

And a view of the atrium from the lobby:

As Annie sings, "I think I'm gonna like it here!"


Last week was unbelievably busy, both with unpacking and settling in, and all the usual meetings and work. I'm hoping this week will be a productive one, and then the following week I'm off to Toronto for the International Reading Association conference. If any of you are going, or live in Toronto, let me know! I'm staying an extra night to see the city, and don't know anyone who lives there, so would love a tour guide or someone to explore with.

7 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Alvina,

Your office looks pretty nice--especially with all that natural light shining in through the windows. Looks as if you've adjusted to your new environs quite well.

Libby Koponen said...

Wow! I think this is MUCH nicer than your old office -- all those windows!!!! I thought a cube would be bad but this looks great.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Alvina,

Janet Wong is going to be at IRA in Toronto. You may want to get in touch with her. I can guarantee that you'd enjoy spending time with her.

Anna Alter said...

Wow, I love the atrium shots and the glass elevator.

Linda S. Wingerter said...

I'd take that cube any day! Beautiful space.

gail said...

You did get a cube with a view! The glass atrium is amazing. I don't think I could ever work in a place without windows. Thanks for the photos!

gail

Rita said...

Love the shot with your reflection.

You look nicely settled in!

That atrium shot rocks, too. :D