Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Work in progress: What Can You Do with an Old Red Shoe?

After months and years of sketching, research, and revising, I am at last beginning the paintings for my craft/recycling/poetry book titled What Can You Do with an Old Red Shoe? This is always an exciting step, pulling out the first piece of paper and laying down the first brush strokes in what is going to be months of painting!

Here is a peek at the first painting in progress, I'll post the latter half of the process next week...

The sketch:



Sketch transferred to paper:



Laying down the first washes:



Building up color:



Begin to layer pen and ink outlines:



Building more color:

5 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

I really enjoy posts like this when you show blog readers the process you follow in bringing an illustration to life. To me, it compares to my process of writing and refining a poem until I think I've arrived at a final draft--a piece of writing that shouldn't be tinkered with anymore for fear of losing the essence of the idea that inspired it.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing to see. Thanks for sharing all the steps along the way. Very cool.

JenFW said...

Yay! I've been eagerly awaiting another chance to witness the process. As far as I'm concerned, you cannot give too many details about what you're using and how. It's fascinating, and I don't know diddly.

Stacey Shubitz said...

What an amazing progression! Thanks for sharing that.

I wanted to ask if you'd be able to submit some picture book reviews to the Picture Book Carnival I started at http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_1951.html
Thanks!

MotherReader said...

That was wonderful, seeing how your illustrations come together. Loved it.