Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Highlights from the second Priscilla launch



As promised, here are some highlights from Saturday's second and final launch party for Priscilla and the Hollyhocks. We threw the party in my neighborhood of Jamaica Plain at a local bookstore, Jamaicaway Books. As most book folks know, it can be super hard to pull people out to a bookstore on a sunny Saturday afternoon. So I was extra delighted when the store filled with enthusiastic friends, kids, and teachers. As we began our talk the seats in front of us filled, by the time we finished it was standing room only.

As with last week's launch, we each spoke about our process; the research and creative decisions that helped create this book:



I showed everyone the photo research I did for Priscilla's character:



Compared the printed book to the actual art (see painting behind me):



And talked about the process of creating the book dummy:



Heres a pic of me, the editor of the book Yolanda, and Anne:



And a rather adorable attendee who came in a cat costume. Why didn't I think of that?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, you just don't see enough people walking around in cat suits these days.

Congratulations on your event!

Anna Alter said...

I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

Your presentation was wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing your process.

Ariana

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

So sorry I couldn't make it. I love your illustrations in Priscilla and the Hollyhocks. See you at the North Shore Council dinner on the 5th.

Elaine Magliaro said...

P.S.

You paint cats really well. I think you should take inspiration from the little girl in the cat suit
and write a story about a young girl who insists she's a cat and wears her feline costume...everywhere.

Anna Alter said...

Thanks for the idea Elaine, I will definitely be doing more cat books!

And thanks for coming Ariana, it was great to meet you!