Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Painting in progress - a movie

I've posted a lot of photos of paintings in progress on this blog over the past couple years, showing the progression of sketch to finished painting. Recently I thought, why not make a little imovie of the same thing? So I put together this clip showing one of the paintings from Priscilla and the Hollyhocks.

What do you think? Can you see enough of the image? I had to make it small so as not to take forever to download. Does this give you a good idea about how a painting develops? Sometimes this can be a hard thing to explain with words. I also put the video here on my web site.

You can see a close-up of the finished illustration here.




REMINDER: This Saturday is the first book launch party for Priscilla at The Wellesley Booksmith at 1 pm! Come join the author and I to learn about the making of the book in person. More details here!

9 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

I could see this PERFECTLY on your Web site (and as you know, I love it!). But here on blogger it just kind of froze very near the beginning.

On the Web site, one image flowed into the next very quickly. Here it just stopped on the 4th one.

This could be because of my ancient computer, but it could also be because of Blogger.

Anyone who reads this: look on the Web site if this happens to you! That has the added advantage of some text that I thought was really interesting.

--Libby

Anna Alter said...

Thanks Libby- good to know! I wonder if it wasn't buffered yet? Maybe try running it a second time from the blog? Anyways, thanks for letting me know, blogger could be doing something strange to it...

gail said...

There was a hitch in it here for me too. I had to give it a nudge. Your website looks great!!! As does the book.

gail

Courtney Pippin-Mathur said...

wonderful video, worked fine for me. it's great to see your process, so detailed and amazing!

Libby Koponen said...

The second time it worked perfectly. It's so interesting to see the colors (and even her expression) changing.

Meghan McCarthy said...

Very cool! How did you do it?

Anna Alter said...

I used imovie and just imported pics of the painting I took while I was working on it. Imovie is SO fun.

Jennifer Thermes said...

So interesting to see your process! Thanks for posting this.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

It's Friday. I just picked up "Priscilla and the Hollyhocks," which I ordered about a week ago. I'm looking forward to reading the book. Love your illustrations!