Friday, April 04, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY: The Poet



As this is the first Poetry Friday of National Poetry Month, I thought that I would post a poem that describes some characteristics typical of someone who writes poetry—at least according to Tom Wayman, a poet. Do you write poetry? Is Wayman speaking about you?


The Poet
By Tom Wayman

Loses his position on worksheet or page in textbook
May speak much but makes little sense
Cannot give clear verbal instructions
Does not understand what he reads
Does not understand what he hears
Cannot handle “yes-no” questions

Has great difficulty interpreting proverbs
Has difficulty recalling what he ate for breakfast, etc.

You can read the rest of the poem here.


At Wild Rose Reader, I have an interview with children’s poet J. Patrick Lewis.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Becky’s Book Reviews this week.

6 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

When I was teaching this described several of my students -- and it helps to see your students as poets and artists rather than as children with no attention span!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tadmack,

Oh, I agree about seeing the poet and artist in children who are daydreamers. I fear that with all the mandated testing for children today and the pressure put on teachers to increase their students' scores year after year there will be little time left for teaching the arts and for exploration in the classroom.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This reminds me of several of our students, as well as myself *gasp*! So now I know it's not just being whifty - it's my poet side!

Emily Jiang said...

My favorite line is "cannot answer yes-no questions" -- that is sooooo true! To celebrate National Poetry Month, I'm writing and posting at least one haiku every day. Come and visit!

Mary Lee said...

I totally agree with tadmack -- positive thinking as survival strategy!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Cloudscome,

I like "whifty." Different is good.


Emily,

That's great about posting a haiku every day of April. Cloudscome is doing the same thing at A Wrung Sponge.


Mary Lee,

I think some would assume that people like the poet described in Wayman's poem are "out there" or ditzy--but many times their minds are absorbed in creative thinking.