Friday, October 09, 2009

After Apple Picking by Robert Frost



I’m in an autumny mood today. Over at Wild Rose Reader, I’ve posted a bunch of poems about October. For Blue Rose Girls, I’ve selected a poem by Robert Frost for you.

After Apple Picking
by Robert Frost

My long two-pointed ladder's sticking through a tree
Toward heaven still,
And there's a barrel that I didn't fill
Beside it, and there may be two or three
Apples I didn't pick upon some bough.
But I am done with apple-picking now.
Essence of winter sleep is on the night,
The scent of apples: I am drowsing off.
I cannot rub the strangeness from my sight
I got from looking through a pane of glass
I skimmed this morning from the drinking trough
And held against the world of hoary grass.
It melted, and I let it fall and break.

You can read the rest of the poem here.

********************
At Wild Rose Reader, I have poems about October.

Anastasia Suen Has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Picture Book of the Day.

3 comments:

Author Amok said...

Elaine -- this is one of my favorite poems. I love the heaviness of it. Thanks for posting!

Tricia said...

I needed to read this one today. Frost just makes me think fall.

Mary Lee said...

It wouldn't be fall without at least one reading of this poem -- thanks! My fall weariness is more about fall assessments and parent conferences, and the press is not on my instep arch, but on my brain. I fall asleep dreaming of what I did say to a parent, what I will say, what I need to say, what I need to do, what must get done...and I wake up already running. In a week or two, things should calm down a bit. WHEW!