Friday, February 05, 2010

POETRY FRIDAY: Back Then by Trish Crapo



I love this poem about childhood and innocence.

Back Then
by Trish Crapo

Out in the yard, my sister and I
tore thread from century plants
to braid into bracelets, ate
chalky green bananas,
threw coconuts onto the sidewalk
to crack their hard, hairy skulls.

The world had begun to happen,
but not time. We would live
forever, sunburnt and pricker-stuck,
our promises written in blood.


You can read the rest of the poem here.

***************

At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original fairy tale poem about Red Riding hood written in the form of a rhyming Q&A.

Mary Ann has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Great Kids Books.

***************

2 comments:

Julie said...

Gosh, that sounds just like how my sister and I lived in the world (which had "begun to happen,/ but not time.") Thanks for posting it, Elaine.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Julie,

It brought back memories for me too. I think many children today lose their innocence much earlier than kids did when I was growing up.