Tuesday, February 08, 2011

What she likes






As I mentioned in this post, while I've got plenty of picture books on the shelf (though I have yet to determine which will be allowed into little hands and which will stay in perfect condition), I've never collected many board books. Now that I have a little one our board book library is increasing, thanks in part to your suggestions.

While baby clearly has little idea why we keep holding these boxy little pages in front of her she does seem to have some preferences. What they say about babies being attracted to high contrast images must be true, because she loves looking at this book:


By the same token Hungry Caterpillar always keeps her transfixed (I guess its a classic for a reason!). I think the bold shapes are easy for her to see, and the colors very appealing.



Here is another favorite, which I quite adore. Like I posted here, the story is so sweet and the artwork so delicate and beautiful. I love the combination of graphic shapes with collaged textures.


Lastly as a side note, when she's not looking at books baby just loves to look at her birds. She just stares and stares. Remember when we found them on a BRG weekend at Libby's? That was very lucky because they are baby's very favorite thing to look at. We first hung them in the living room and began to notice her gazing at them. When we brought her up close they would never fail to produce a grin, so we moved one string above her changing table. Now every time we change her, she looks up at them and smiles ear to ear.

4 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Just wait until she loves a book that you don't care for. I don't know how many times I had to read Dragon in a Wagon-- there was even a hairstyle based on the character that I had to replicate.

Anna Alter said...

Ha! Yes those days are coming. I remember when I was a teacher watching kids come to show and tell with a wide array of books clutched to their chest, most memorably Barbie Cinderella. I guess you never know what they will love.

Libby Koponen said...

That expression in the first HUNGRY CATERPILLAR picture made me burst out laughing, which is why I checked "funny."

She is so adorable and I can't get over how she's grown up and changed, just in a few weeks! (I don't know much about babies.)

I have my prosperity hens hanging by my desk and in my kitchen, and I believe they HAVE brought me prosperity.

Can't wait until you come home and we can all meet Wren! Though I'm also worried you will be horrified by New England after California. I remember what a shock it was to me when I moved back after 5 years....especially the produce!

Let's hope good friends make up for fruit that isn't ripe and snow, and cold grey days...and hot muggy ones. Me, I'm already looking forward to taking Wren to the beach!

Thanks for this post.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

Little Wren has a smile that could light up a ballroom. I love those chubby cheeks! She is so adorable. I bet she has Daddy wrapped around her little finger.