Thursday, April 14, 2011

HOW MANY BOOKS AT ONCE?






I know some authors work on multiple projects at once and sometimes that actually works for them. I can't really do this. Not at the beginning stages. I have to REALLY get into something and drown myself in it - at least at the beginning - until I can move on. I have to become obsessed. In fact, I can't move on or let go - much like a rabid dog grabbing onto a leg (is that too much?). There are other times when I can do two things at once - when I'm in the painting stages. Then it's okay to multi task. I was thinking of this because someone asked me what I was working on and sort of rejected the thing that I was loving the most. Then said "Have any other ideas?" Well... no.

I shouldn't say I can't work on two things at once. That's not quite true. I have two little notebooks I bought for 2 dollars a piece. They're very tiny and I like them both. Depending on the day I'll write in one or the other. Each has a different story idea. I work at them while I'm at work.

I'm just wondering - how do you guys work?

3 comments:

Nina Laden said...

I must be schizophrenic. I juggle projects polishing and revising, and going from one to another until one gets accepted and then I pour my soul into that one until it goes to press. The story must be complete and work before I'll invest time in sketching a dummy...

My journals are a backlist of projects in various stages of blossoming. Some concepts are born whole and they get a lot of attention, but the flawed ones require time to develop. They all follow their own Zen path and I let them tell me when they are ready to bloom.

Naomi Canale said...

I can only multitask with two manuscripts at a time. My daily goal is to write a thousand words a day and I like being able to pick which one I'm in the mood for. But I am an amateur at the moment with no deadlines. If I did have deadlines, one manuscript would be all I could do. I think it's great that you love a vision so much its all you can work on. Keep up the great work...it's loved by many!

June G said...

I was thinking about this topic. I'm getting close to querying my WIP and I'm dying to start something new. I thought about trying to work on both projects at the same time, then figured I'd better devote my time to getting the present work completed. It's something I may still consider trying in the future. It would be great to have a couple of works to offer, but we'll see. If you manage to do it successfully, let us know!