Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Photo for Greta on the way




In a few short weeks my new book, A Photo for Greta, will be out at last! You might remember some of the paintings I posted as I was working on it last summer here , here, and here.

While the illustrations were done last summer, the book has been in progress for a long time. Its a story I've always wanted to write about growing up with a dad who is a photographer (which mine was). Here is a photo he took of me when I was about 4, which we used on the jacket flap:


I painted a version of it on the endpapers:


I've been putting together some promotional materials for schools (more on that soon) and some behind the scenes peeks of the making of the book on my web site. This weekend I made this little painting in progress "movie" out of photos of one of the illustrations. I hope it will make the painting process clear to kids who watch it...

4 comments:

Amanda Hoving said...

I love *both* of the sunglasses poses. I also think the painting video is great -- very interesting to this non-artist to see the process.

Best wishes on the upcoming release of your book!

Libby Koponen said...

Anna! That video! It's amazing -- it really does show the process, and that little bunny reminds me so much of you. It's hard to even say why: the pose? her feelings? I don't know, but it really is all so you. I love love love this and can't wait to get my hands on the book itself!

ALL good wishes to Greta!

Anna Alter said...

Thanks guys!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

I love the video. What a great way to show your painting process!