Friday, May 20, 2011

LILACS: An Original Poem


Here is a poem about lilacs from an unpublished collection of memoir poems that I wrote titled A Home for the Seasons. My maternal grandparents had lots of lilac bushes growing on their property. I also had a row of lilac bushes that grew in my yard. I loved the sweet scent they gave off when they were in bloom. I’ve been thinking about planting a couple of lilac bushes in my backyard.






LILACS
By Elaine Magliaro



Tall lilacs border


my grandparents’ driveway.


In May they bloom


with clusters of lacy lavender flowers


that fill the air


with the scent


of remembered springs.


********************


At Wild Rose Reader, I have two original lollipop poems.

Julie Larios has the Poetry Friday Roundup at The Drift Record.

3 comments:

jama said...

Lovely! I've enjoyed all your memoir poems. Wish we could have a lilac bush in our yard.

posse said...

A beautiful poem.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Oh I love lilacs too! That scent is heaven.