Thursday, July 07, 2011

the making of my cover






My book BALTO is coming out in August and so I'm working on a section for it about how the cover was made. My uncle carved the cover for it and then I painted the dog onto the wood. I have finished a page showing the inside of his shop.



Go here to check out the page.

I'm going to make a simple page that shows kids how a sign is made as soon as my uncle gets around to taking some photos for me. I feel bad that I'm giving him projects! I already invaded his space with my camera.

1 comment:

Libby Koponen said...

What a great studio! Where is it?

From what little I have seen of Balto (only what you've posted here), I like the paintings the best of any of your books so far. The way you do the light and capture the feeling of being in a blizzard, and the way you paint the dogs, really brought me into that Northern world. And the light and snow are so beautiful!