Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Awards, Priscilla, random things...


I have to admit I have not read most of the ALSC winners this year (I am always behind on my reading), but I am thrilled to see two illustrators I love get recognized; Beth Krommes and Melissa Sweet. I ADORE their work and think its really great to see "quiet books" get some attention! When I worked at Houghton Mifflin way back when, I got to see original art from some of their books in person and it is GORGEOUS. I especially loved Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women and Grandmother Winter.

Speaking of awards (nice transition eh?), I just found out that Priscilla and the Hollyhocks has been chosen as a 2008 National Council for Social Studies Notable Trade Book! Hurray! The book will be featured at the NCSS Exhibit in Atlanta in November, as well as in the NCSS magazine. Its my first illustrated book gone *notable* so I am very excited.

Okay back to the drawing board! I am working on a new project I'm very excited about, will show sketches soon.

7 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

Congratulations, Anna! It's well deserved (those paintings are beauitful and totally great - and I hope they are going to mention ABIGAIL and ONE RED SHOE in their write-ups about you. I think getting onto any schools list is great PR.But winning an award is especially great.

And I love the drawing from _____________. (It's not up to ME to say the name of the book!)

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

I, too, love the work of Beth Krommes and Melissa Sweet. I'm happy for the two of them. They both live in New England.

Here's some PAS North Shore Council News: Melissa Sweet is going to be the speaker at our dinner meeting in November! I'm so excited. I haven't had a chance to read RIVER OF WORDS yet. I ordered it several weeks ago--but it's been out of stock. I haven't seen THE HOUSE IN THE NIGHT either. I hope to get a copy of that book soon.

I also want to read the Newbery winner THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman. I really enjoyed his book CORALINE.

I have to admit that I was disappointed that WABI SABI didn't get at least a Caldecott Honor. I think it's a stunning book--one of Ed Young's best

I know I already congratulated you on PRSICILLA AND THE HOLLYHOCKS--but that is such great news that I think my congratulations are worth repeating.

Anna Alter said...

Thanks guys!

And thanks for mentioning that Melissa Sweet is going to speak at your next dinner Elaine, I'd love go! I too haven't seen her new book but can't wait to check it out.

Yes its a shame about Wabi Sabi, such a beautiful book!!

Btw Neil Gaiman was on npr just now talking about how shocked he was to win the Newbery- that he was sleeping in and his assistant had to call him five times to wake him up. Ha!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Anna,

Jacqueline Davies will be our council speaker in March at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem--and Barbara McClintock will be the speaker at our May meeting at the Corinthian yacht Club in Marblehead!

I'm sorry I missed Gaiman on NPR.

Grace Lin said...

Congrats, Anna! That is great. I, too, was delighted that Melissa Sweet, Marla Frazee and Beth Krommes were honored. I'm sure all the recipients were deserving but I have to admit that I am sad that my favorites--Wabi Sabi, Alvin Ho, Masterpiece were not mentioned. But, I still love those books--and I know kids do too--stickers or not. And that's something to remember about all the books that were not honored (including our own!).

Meghan McCarthy said...

I didn't even notice your win. Congrats Anna! Great news. At least one of us BRG got something!

Meghan McCarthy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.