Wednesday, January 07, 2009

charity

Recently, when my fellow BRG Meghan wrote a frank post about authors, money and school visits, it made me think. Her honesty made me wince and nod at the same time.

Because here is my truth--I do a lot of school visits. I am so grateful and honored that schools invite me. But a great portion of my income depends on the fees I receive from these visits. AND, my most natural state is introverted--there are only so many visits I can do in a year without stammering incoherently. I'm kind of like a jar of marbles--every visit I do I am less one marble until I am empty. So, I can't give away my marbles for free.

But, it isn't fair that the only schools that get authors to visit are the ones that can afford to. Every visit I do, I can see the excitement in the students. But it also isn't fair to ask the author (the usually financially-strapped author) to do it for free either.

That is where organizations like the Foundation of Children's Books, the beneficiary of my new little TBA project, comes in.

The Foundation
funds school visit programs for low-income schools. So, schools that usually can't afford an author to visit, get one and the author doesn't have to suffer financially either.

Supporting the Foundation is win-win for everyone. Students of all incomes get wonderful programs and fellow authors are able to make a living to keep creating books! Isn't that great?

Now, don't you want to know what my new little charity project is? Stay tuned!!!

6 comments:

Barbara O'Connor said...

Grace: This is a fantastic idea. I can't wait to see what the project is.

However....the link to the FCB should be www.thefcb.org (unless you really intended to donate to the Florida Foundation for the Blind...heh)

And I love your marble analogy...I can totally relate.
Barbara

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Barbara. I fixed the links, Grace.

Grace Lin said...

ooops! Thanks Barbara and Elaine (as I blush).

Nicole Tadgell said...

That's awesome, Grace! A wonderful plan. :)

Libby Koponen said...

Grace! I love this idea. So far my favorite proverb you've posted has been "Man who waits for roast duck to fly into his mouth...." (those of you who haven't seen it -- go to Grace's blog!).

I really hope you paint that one. It's such a funny image -- and so true.

Libby

Meghan McCarthy said...

Great piece of art and great idea. I didn't mean to make anyone wince!