Friday, December 04, 2009

POETRY FRIDAY: I Cannot Speak of War

I thought the following poem was appropriate for posting this week. I found it at Poets Against War.

I Cannot Speak of War
by Pat Harvey

I can only speak of soldiers: captured

in nearly a century of photographs.

Old eyes in young faces who wear

integrity as easily as their crisp

dress blues and browns.

I can speak of my grandfather: the doughboy

learning a bit of the old parlez-vous

with gay mademoiselles baring

frantic smiles and foxholed nights

when the chauchaut rifle was useless.

You can read the rest of the poem here.

***************

At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original fairy tale poem titled The Giant’s Magic Harp Sings.

I’m doing the Poetry Friday Roundup at Wild Rose Reader today.

3 comments:

KURIOUS KITTY said...

Thanks for posting this, Elaine. I've been in a blue funk, too.

Elaine Magliaro said...

When will we ever learn??? My heart goes out to all the military and their families.

Mary Lee said...

When indeed.

Sigh...