Friday, April 30, 2010

A Favorite Poem Project Video: The Sloth by Theodore Roethke


In a previuos post, Brian Age Seven--A Poem by Mark Doty, I wrote about being a participant in the first annual Summer Poetry Institute for Teachers at Boston University in 2001. Here is one of the Favorite Poem videos we watched while at the institute. In the video, Katherine Mechling--who was then a fifth grader--recites Theodore Roethke's poem The Sloth.

The Sloth (Favorite Poem Project)




At Wild Rose Reader, I have a post titled Apostrophe: Poems of Address. It includes some of my original poems of address, links to other poems, and a poetry book recommendation.
The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Great Kids Books.


4 comments:

Marjorie said...

What a lovely video - thank you for sharing. I liked the poem too - there really is something about a sloth, in't there?! :-)

Kathy Duval said...

What a lovely reading. I enjoyed hearing the reader's comments on the poem.

Laura said...

Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed this video. I didn't realize the Favorite Poem Project had posted these videos on YouTube. I'm going to listen to all of these.

Laura Evans
all things poetry

Elaine Magliaro said...

To Marjorie, Katy, & Laura:

You can see all of the Favorite Poem Project videos at the FPP website.

Here's the URL of the video page at the site:
http://www.favoritepoem.org/videos.html