Monday, October 01, 2012

STARRY RIVER OF THE SKY book launch


           



Libby and I came up to the Boston area for Grace's book launch for Starry River of the Sky at Porter Square Books. As soon as I got off the Amtrak train in South Station, I realized that it's been a while since I've come up to Boston (aside from a quick one-day jaunt to Boston for a meeting earlier in the year). I'm sad I didn't have a chance to contact many friends in advance of my trip (aside from my Twitter and Facebook posts about the book launch), but it was nice to see so many familiar faces at the event.

It was a rainy, gloomy Sunday, but that didn't deter a nice big crowd from coming out. It was a full house! Standing room only--and best of all, there were so many kids in attendance:
Grace prepared an interactive reading from the new book, and asked for audience interaction.
They acted out one of the "stories within the story"--here are the six suns that shine down relentlessly on the land, making the world unbearably hot. WangYi (on the right) is getting ready to try to shoot them down from the sky.
Grace's book signing line was extremely long, but she supplied goodie bags and had kid helpers pass around plates of delicious cookies (baked by Grace's mother-in-law) to pass the time.

Speaking of cookies, a young fan brought Grace this awesome homemade cookie bouquet! Check out all of the book covers--the colors are spot-on, especially for Dumpling Days--can you name the book titles?
The very last person in line was Grace's littlest fan. Here's baby Rain Dragon eagerly reaching for a copy of Starry River of the Sky!
Thanks everyone for coming out and making it an incredible event!

If you haven't seen it already, check out the trailer:




2 comments:

Selina Alko said...

Congratulations, Grace! I love the cookie basket. What a lovely launch. We look forward to reading the book!

Meghan McCarthy said...

Wow, that fan really loves you! I love the photo of daddy and baby...