Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Good-bye Maurice






In case you haven't heard the sad news, Maurice Sendak passed away yesterday at the age of 83. The Juniper Tree will remain one of my most treasured possessions and his work such a profound inspiration. I got to hear him speak once in Cambridge and to shake his hand briefly afterwards. I'm not one to push my way through a crowd usually, but that day I did to get the chance to meet him.

From an interview with Terry Gross on NPR:

"I have nothing now but praise for my life. I'm not unhappy. I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more. ... What I dread is the isolation. ... There are so many beautiful things in the world which I will have to leave when I die, but I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready." - Maurice Sendak

No comments: