Friday, January 18, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY: How to Change a Frog into a Prince

I enjoy reading poems that make reference to fairy tales. Here’s a poem with directions for all you princesses and queens who have hopes of transforming an awkward amphibian into royalty.

How to Change a Frog Into a Prince
by Anna Denise

Start with the underwear. Sit him down.
Hopping on one leg may stir unpleasant memories.
If he gets his tights on, even backwards, praise him.
Fingers, formerly webbed, struggle over buttons.
Arms and legs, lengthened out of proportion, wait,
as you do, for the rest of him to catch up.
This body, so recently reformed, reclaimed,
still carries the marks of its time as a frog. Be gentle.

Click here to read the rest of the poem.


I have two modified centos created from the titles of children's poetry books at Wild Rose Reader today.


Becky has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Farm School this week.

8 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I now need to add this poetry book to my list. What fun writing poems based on Grimm's Fairy Tales!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

I have got to get myself a copy of the book, too! I hope it's still in print.

Christine Tripp said...

For some reason this poem reminded me of womans age old struggle and after 35 years of working on him, I still have a frog, not a prince (he's a cute frog though:)

tanita✿davis said...

I have a girlfriend who collects frog figurines -- trust me, I immediately sent her this poem with the message to watch for the fly-eating on the sly. I love this gentle treatment of the frog, and the idea that one should not expect instant princedom when one has been a frog for so long. I love retelling fairy tales in every way, and must treat myself to this book of poems. Thanks!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Christine,

What came to mind for me when I read this poem was a young man of about twelve or thirteen--that age when boys are gawky and their body parts don't seem to fit into an integrated whole. You know...that time in their lives when girls of the same age look like their much older and more mature sisters.


Tadmack,

I really love these fairy tale poems. I've posted a couple of others from the book before. I think it is time I got a copy of the book for myself!

Anonymous said...

I have to find that book and read it. This poem was spectacular. Thanks for the introduction to what is for me a "new" collection.

Anonymous said...

And to think we sometimes think that boys have it easy. Poor little frogs...

Mary Lee said...

The first two lines cracked me up!