Friday, January 11, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY: A Taste of Poetry

I know most people don’t share my passion for poetry. Fortunately, there are some of you who do—people who enjoy the taste of a well-written poem. I think poetry’s delicious! How about you?

For this Poetry Friday, I give you two poems about eating poetry. The poem by Eve Merriam is one I used to share often with my elementary students.


From HOW TO EAT A POEM
by Eve Merriam

Don't be polite.
Bite in.
Pick it up with your fingers and lick the juice that
may run down your chin.
It is ready and ripe now, whenever you are.

Click here to read the rest of the poem.


From EATING POETRY
by Mark Strand

Ink runs from the corners of my mouth.
There is no happiness like mine.
I have been eating poetry.

The librarian does not believe what she sees.
Her eyes are sad
and she walks with her hands in her dress.

The poems are gone.
The light is dim.
The dogs are on the basement stairs and coming up.

Their eyeballs roll,
their blond legs burn like brush.
The poor librarian begins to stamp her feet and weep.

Click here to read the rest of the poem.


At Wild Rose Reader I have four original poems about winter.
The Poetry Friday Roundup is at The Book Mine Set today.

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Elaine, I love both these poems, and I'm so glad you shared them. You do such a good job of whetting people's appetites for their own poem-meals!