Tuesday, July 01, 2008

phone recordings - a new project for moi?

Perhaps I have too much time on my hands, I don't know. I really don't have time on my hands, but I've felt compelled.

The first lovely is a recording of part of a phone conversation with my little sister about her birth certificate and the fact that she was called "baby."

www.meghan-mccarthy.com/phone_kaila.html

The second is a week or so worth of phone messages that I forgot to erase. No joke, they are almost all doctor messages... with a few stupid sister voice mails thrown in for a good crack up. I don't know what to make of it but here it is--

www.meghan-mccarthy.com/phone_messages.html

2 comments:

Bonnie Branson said...

I saw an artist at the ICA in Boston, and I forgot her name but she filmed herself lip syncing voice messages she had recieved for the past...year or so. Most of the messages were mis-messages, like voice mail she would get from people dailing the wrong number. It was really facinating. Some of them were like, "Barbra...why won't you call me back honey? I miss you so much and I'm really sorry about the cake!" (Her name is Miranda..or whatever.)
Oh and I used to live in Brooklyn 3 years ago and they were fighting that IKEA to not come....heh looks like IKEA won!

Bonnie Branson said...

I found the artist I mentioned above,
it's Rachel Perry Welty, "Karaoke Wrong Number."
http://www.icaboston.org/exhibitions/permanent-collection/artists/welty/