Friday, July 10, 2009

POETRY FRIDAY: Anniversary by Cecilia Woloch


On July 19th, my husband and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. I was a lucky girl. I met my husband in high school. We started dating when we were fifteen. My Mike is a great husband and father, a wonderful friend and brother, and a fabulous cook. We’ve been together for nearly fifty years!

I’ll be away in Maine next Friday—so I thought I’d post a special anniversary poem this week.


Anniversary
by Cecilia Woloch

Didn’t I stand there once,
white-knuckled, gripping the just-lit taper,
swearing I’d never go back?
And hadn’t you kissed the rain from my mouth?
And weren’t we gentle and awed and afraid…


You can read the rest of the poem here.


Here is a picture of Mike and me that was taken recently at the wedding
of the son of two of our best friends.


At Wild Rose Reader, I have two original acrostics: CRAB and CRICKETS. I also have a recommendation for a book of summer acrostics by Steven Schnur.

At Political Verses, I have a poem about the resignation speech of Alaska’s Governor entitled Sarah Palin’s Swan/Duck/Goose Song.

Jama Rattigan has the Poetry Friday Roundup this week.


3 comments:

jama said...

Sigh, lovely poem. And you've been together since age 15? Wow. Here's to 40 more wonderful years together. Congratulations!

P.S. I LOVE that Mike's a good cook :)!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I was fortunate to find the right guy when I was just a lass. Mike and I have had lots of good time--and a great kid--together.

alvinaling said...

Happy Anniversary, Elaine! Here's to 40+ more happy years together. ;)