Wednesday, December 12, 2007

coterie

Before the party festivities, Anna gave all the blue rose girls blue rose rings. I particularly like how even though they are all blue roses, they are each different.


It is an interesting coterie that we have formed. When we first began the blue rose girl blog, it was mainly for professional and promotional reasons--but the bonds that formed behind the posts have become stronger than I ever imagined. These were the women that stood by me when I was running on empty, when the suffering was almost too much to bear and waited to catch me when the inevitable finally forced me to fall. These were the women that drove six hours to a foreign city for a funeral; they were the ones who madly rearranged, repainted and removed the horrors from my apartment so that I could return to a true home. These were the women who refused to let me be alone and scheduled their days to be with me; the ones who helped me pick up the pieces of my life, watched me heal, encouraged me to go forward and pushed me to look at my future with hope. They are the ones who are sincerely happy for me when I now feel joy and celebrate with delight anytime life brings me good fortune. These are the women who have taught me what true friendship really is.

I probably shouldn't need a ring to remember that. But, it's a good excuse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a sense of the connection between roses in your posts and comments, but never so clearly as with this post.

What a special friendship you all have.

Katherine

Libby Koponen said...

Oh, Grace, this made me cry: I don't really have words to say how much I admire you (I think everyone who knows you is almost in awe of your strength and courage and, well, as Jone Yolen put it, GRACE) and how grateful I feel for our friendship. It's a great blessing -- and a lot of fun. Thank you, Alvina, Anna, Elaine, Grace, Linda, Meghan, for our friendship....I don't need a blue rose ring to realize how lucky I am that we ARE friends, but I'm glad I have one.

Cupcakes forever!

Bad Art Night said...

That is so cool. I'm sad I missed it, but glad it sounds like it was a happy occasion.