Monday, December 17, 2007

A little bit more about the Sony Reader

I didn't really know what to write about today--it's been a whirlwind since getting back from CA after Thanksgiving and the Big Sur conference, and now I'm heading back out to CA for Christmas on Thursday.

As always in the weeks leading up to the holiday break, there have been a lot of social obligations, holiday parties, etc. I hope you won't think that I'm getting paid by Sony to talk about the Sony Reader again (I'm not, but if someone wants to pay me, I'll take it), but I've found myself "showing off" the Reader to a lot of people at these events and parties (but was so sad that I forgot it at work when I went to the Kidlit Drink night last Monday! Sorry, Kate). In fact, I've just purchased a new iPod Nano, which is truly a thing of beauty, but have been showing off my Sony Reader so much more. What's been exciting for me as an avid reader working in publishing is that it's not just publishing folk who are interested in seeing the Reader: people I don't necessarily consider to be book lovers are really fascinated by the gadget. Who knows, maybe electronic book readers will create some new readers!

Another interesting thing I've discovered while continuing to use the Reader is the mechanics of how I read paper books. I am somewhat of a speed reader, so when reading a physical paper book, I tend to start turning the top corner of page before I've finished reading the bottom of the current page, because when I'm dealing with actual paper pages, my eyes are able to finish scanning the last few lines before I fully turn the page, my eyes jumping from the bottom of the page to the top of the next page. Of course, I never actually fully realized I did this until I started using the Sony Reader, because obviously, you can't do that with the Reader. I don't know how many times I've had to push the back page button after pushing the next page button prematurely and realizing that I hadn't read the last lines of the previous page.

And that is all I'll say on the Sony Reader. Until next time.

****

I'll end with a bit of news: promotions at my company were announced on Friday, and this year it was wonderful to see a long list of promotions across departments, all very well deserved. Well, with the possible exception of one: I've been promoted to Senior Editor. I don't quite feel worthy, but it's definitely exciting for me, although nothing much will change in my day-to-day job responsibilities. But it's lovely to know that I can work in a job and industry that I love, and continue to grow.

15 comments:

Tricia said...

OOOH! Congratulations, Alvina! Senior Editor has such a nice ring to it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to start the new year.

Congratulations!

Katherine

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Congratulations Alvina!
:)
e

gail said...

Great news! Congratulations!

gail

Anonymous said...

Congrats Alvina!

meghan

Elaine Magliaro said...

Alvina,

Congratulations on your promotion! I hope you have a great trip to California for the holidays.

Lisa Schroeder said...

Your promotion was announced on Publisher's Lunch with the others.

Congratulations Alvina! May 2008 bring you much joy and success!!

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wuhooh!

Congratulations on the promotion. :)

Anastasia Suen said...

Congratulations on your promotion! What a great way to start the new year!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

And I'm sure it's very well deserved.

Rita said...

Congrats!! :D :D

Disco Mermaids said...

Woo-Hoo!

You are way too humble, Alvina. You ARE deserving of this promotion because you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you! (Sorry, any chance to quote Stewart Smalley from SNL, I'll take.)

Congrats, again. Here's to a wonderful 2008!

Eve

Anonymous said...

ENJOY and CELEBRATE the season
and your success !!!

topangamaria

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the promotion, Alvina! And have a good holiday.

yamster said...

You ARE worthy, Alvina! Congrats!!!