Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A busy week for SHOE!


The past week has been a whirlwind! Earth Week brought a flurry of activity around What Can You Do with an Old Red Shoe?... here are a few highlights.

First of all, when I found out that USA Today was going to include the book in their Earth Day section I pictured a nice, small mention in a round-up of green products... maybe they would include the book cover. But when I managed to find a copy of the paper on Wednesday, I was shocked to see a full half page article! Pictures, excerpts, and all! I've never gotten press like this, so it was really a thrill. You can read the article here.



But that wasn't the only chance to celebrate SHOE, I also had a lovely event at The Wellesley Booksmith where we made our own shoe planters. I brought in a stack of old, worn out shoes I collected, and some cheerful marigolds:



Here are some of the kid's planters:







The next day I visited the Wenham Museum and gave a presentation on how the book was made in coordination with their exhibit "Soul of the Shoe". Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures in the museum of the amazing collection of shoes they had on display, but I did get these pics:





I finished my presentation by drawing some of the characters in the book, then hung them up for kids to color. A very focused brother and sister team got to work right away:

4 comments:

erin e kono said...

Congratulations on all the great press!! Its well deserved. My daughter took WHAT DO YOU DO WITH AN OLD RED SHOE? to her preschool for show-and-tell on earth day. They loved it.

Anna Alter said...

Oh how sweet, thank you Erin!

Meghan McCarthy said...

Wow that's a big article! Congrats!

yamster said...

Congrats, Anna! Love the little planters in the kids' shoes.