Friday, April 03, 2009

Magnetic Poetry, Part 2


Last week, my Poetry Friday post was about composing poems using online Magnetic Poetry kits. I invited blog readers to write their own “magnetic” poems and leave them in the comments. Here are the poems people submitted:

Mary Lee of A Year of Reading

young woman
translucent universe
warm trust
wild worry
velvety questions
poetry window



Pam Coughlan of Mother Reader

translucent in youth
secretive,
your question
lingers less than
you
asking
me



Our own Meghan McCarthy of the Blue Rose Girls

young wild life
your genius
so vivid
a world
masterpiece
dead



I decided to write another poem this week using the “poet” magnetic kit. Here it is:

Untitled

I wake here
lie open
above the sky
see smoke seep
from a starry universe
kiss the morning
with lips of steel
remember your velvet voice
my desire
and melt like poetry
on a breeze


NOTE: At my solo blogs Wild Rose Reader and Political Verses, I’ll be giving away poetry books as prizes in celebration of National Poetry Month. All you have to do to have your named entered into each week’s drawing is to comment at one of my April posts. In addition, I’ll be doing a special drawing for people who commented at any of my March posts at Political Verses.

Check out this post to see the books of light verse that I’ll be giving away as prizes at Political Verses: Political Verses: National Poetry Month Prizes

Check out this post to see the children’s poetry books I’ll be giving away as prizes at Wild Rose Reader: Where Is the Wild Rose???

FYI
My poem Things to Do If You Are a Pencil is included in Falling Down the Page: A Book of List Poems that was edited by Georgia Heard.


Things to Do If You Are a Pencil


Be sharp.

Wear a slick yellow suit

and a pink top hat.

Tap your toes on the tabletop,

listen for the right rhythm,

then dance a poem

across the page.


Three of my poems were published in the April issue of Yareah Magazine. You can read about that in this Wild Rose Reader post: My Poems in Yareah Magazine. Here's a link to the magazine: Yareah. And here’s a link to the page with my three poemsSpace Man, Winter Ballet, and Fairy for Hire.





********************


At Wild Rose Reader, I have an extensive post about mask poems. The post includes four of my original poems, mask poems written by my former students, and book recommendations.


At Political Verses, I’m featuring Poem at the End of the Twentieth Century by J. Patrick Lewis for this first Poetry Friday during National Poetry Month.


Amy Planchak Graves has the Poetry Friday Roundup at ayuddha.net.

5 comments:

Mary Lee said...

How fun that Pam and Meghan and I all focused in on the translucence of youth!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Mary Lee,

I noticed that smae thread when I was typing your poems for this post.

I'm so far away from my youth (calendar-wise) that it's just a distant memory.

Meghan McCarthy said...

That is indeed odd. I think it's on my mind lately because I'm crossing that threshold. And as being an artist, there's a lot of hope in being young. I think once you hit a certain age your art becomes nothing more than a hobby--the dreams of having a big show at the moma will never happen... unless one day you die and are discovered, like many of the famous artists are. And if you're dead, what's the point?

Is that depressing?

Elaine Magliaro said...

Meghan,

I don't know if that's true. Think about Grandma Moses. As for myself, I feel I'm just getting cracking with my children's poetry. I think the poetry I write today is so much better than what I was writing when I was in my twenties and thirties.

Meghan McCarthy said...

I was really talking about fine art. Big paintings--that sort of thing. And not as a rule, but in general. It really does work out that way I'm sorry to say.