Friday, April 24, 2009

Opposite Poems--Part 2



Last week in my POETRY FRIDAY: Opposite Poems post, I invited readers to write opposite poems and share them with us. Well, one brave soul left her opposite poem in the comments.

Here’s the poem submitted by Laurie Peters:

A Couple Guesses

The opposite of poetry, I suppose, might be prose.
No, I’m pretty sure that isn’t true. Prose thrills too,
and prose can twist a common phrase through its maze to
reshape
with rhymeless meter, proving prose can sing poetically.
Let me try again.
the opposite of poetry might be
communicationg without relating.
Yes, I think that’s it.

Thanks for submitting an opposite poem for hosting here, Laurie!

You can read Some Opposites (written by Richard Wilbur) at the Poetry Foundation.

You may also enjoy Some Words Inside of Words by Wilbur.


Click here to hear a podcast of Some Words Inside of Words.


Here’s a YouTube video of Some Words Inside of Words:


The Richard Wilbur page at poets.org

The Richard Wilbur page at poetryfoundation.org

********************

At Wild Rose Reader today: Poetry Friday: Animal Haiku. The post includes reviews of four books of haiku about animals: The Cuckoo’s Haiku, If Not for the Cat, Least Things, and Dogku.

At Political Verses today: I have an original poem entitled Knock, Knock, Knockin' on Heaven's Door: John Yoo at the Pearly Gates.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Under the Covers this week.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

OH My GOSH! I was so surprised and honored to see my poem posted!

WOW.

Only one problem - I saw a mistake in the 3rd line when I reread it.

it's should be its.

I am a bad grammar girl, and I always seem to make at least one mistake (or two) every time I post a comment on anything.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Laurie,

It's been corrected. I make mistakes like that in my posts quite often. Sometimes I don't find them until weeks or months later when I'm rereading a post for some reason.

Laurie said...

thanks :-)