Friday, June 05, 2009

POETRY FRIDAY: The Hand by Mary Ruefle



June is one month that brings to mind the many years that I spent teaching. I still remember all those last days of school when I had to say goodbye to groups of children that become like a part of my family. My students and I had had bonded over the course of ten months together. Those days were bittersweet times for me.

Here is a poem by Mary Ruefle for the teachers who devote their lives to educating our children as the school year comes to a close.


The Hand

by Mary Ruefle

The teacher asks a question.
You know the answer, you suspect
you are the only one in the classroom
who knows the answer, because the person
in question is yourself, and on that
you are the greatest living authority,
but you don’t raise your hand.
You raise the top of your desk
and take out an apple.


You can read the rest of the poem here.




********************


At Wild Rose Reader, I have a review of The Frogs and Toads All Sang, a book of poems written and illustrated by Arnold Lobel (with color by Adrianne Lobel). Lobel handmade the book as a gift for friends many years ago. Lobel’s daughter found out about the book’s existence last September when she was contacted by the person who bought it in an estate auction.



Sara Lewis Holmes has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Read Write Believe.

2 comments:

Marinela said...

Really nice poem :)
Thanks for sharing :)

Sara said...

Yes, they devote their lives, and sometimes never know what changes happen inside a child's head, the quiet, non-shared things.