Friday, July 29, 2011

BALTO VIDEO IN PROGRESS

I'm making a Balto video -- I've done the sound already. It's going to be the complete book, melded with real photographs and videos. I thought I'd try my hand at animation... but I don't have Flash so I figured -- how hard could it be to animate things old school? So I tried it with the boat in Photoshop. I cut out the boat and the smoke and colored in the background and then put the pieces back on and then moved them inch by inch. All of this took me a day and a half and all I have to show for it is about 10 sec of a boat moving in a jolted manner!

3 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

Now that is what I call creative...I wonder if it would be any easier with Flash? (As you can see, I know nothing about the technology)

Also what I love about this story is how much it shows about how artists (I include writers in that!) will just DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to get something done, something they're passionate about.

Thanks!

Meghan McCarthy said...

Ugh, yeah, that's about right... WHATEVER IT TAKES. Yeah, it's A LOT easier with flash. With flash it animates all the in-between shots. so I would put the boat at one end and the other and it would fill in the blanks. So what took me two days would take me 5 min, or something like that. I suppose would I should have spent my time doing is figuring out how to get my program to work!

Carol Baicker-McKee said...

You might want to buy an animation program like StopMotion Pro - a lot easier to learn than Flash, but it will also do some of the work for you. But any real animation is hard work!
I think what you did looks great, though! And the sound works really well with it.