Friday, December 23, 2011

Things to Do If You Are Santa Claus: An Original List Poem





The year 2011 has indeed been a great one for me. I became a grandmother--which was truly a thrill! I also sold my first book--a collection of "things to do" poems--to Chronicle Press. I signed the contract in the fall. I thought I'd wait until now to make the announcement.

One of the most interesting things about the sale of my poetry manuscript: I didn't submit it to Chronicle. Grace Lin did! She sent it to her editor there--who liked the collection.

I also wrote a biographical poem about Jonas Salk  that will be included in a Kane Miller anthology that is due to be released next fall. The book is to be titled Dare to Dream...Change the World. You can read about the anthology at this Wild Rose Reader post: Dare to Dream…Change the World: A Poetry Anthology Coming in 2012.

As the year 2011 comes to a close, I'd to thank two good friends who helped critique and give me suggestions about my "things to do" poetry collection: Janet Wong and, of course, Grace Lin. I also want to thank my daughter and son-in-law for giving me the most adorable granddaughter in the world!

My Granddaughter Julia Anna


I thought I'd write a special "things to do" Christmas poem to celebrate the sale of my poetry manuscript. I still have to work on the ending. Note: I don't have as much time for blogging and writing now because I spend half the week providing daycare for Julia Anna. She's the gift that keeps on giving!

Things to Do If You Are Santa Claus

Have a big round belly,
Cheeks rosy red.
Wear a furry cap
On top of your head,
A wide black belt
With a buckle of gold.
Live at the top of the world
Where it's cold.
Grow a bushy beard
That's white as snow.
Be jolly and laugh
With a Ho-Ho-Ho!
On Christmas Eve,
Set off on your sleigh
With a red-nosed reindeer
Leading the way
Through a midnight sky
On a chilling night
When a guiding star
Blazes bright.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Dori Reads.


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!


2 comments:

Greg Pincus said...

Just thought you could sneak in a book contract, eh? No sneaking! That's fabulous!!!! Congrats, Elaine!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Greg! And many thanks to Grace for all her help--and her friendship.