Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday crafting


So each holiday I like to make a little something for the publishing folks I've worked with that year. This year it seemed fitting to pick an activity from my craft book, What Can You Do with an Old Red Shoe?, since I spent much of the year working on it. Sadly many of the projects are not easily shippable (I was definitely not going to send a dozen little red shoes in the mail), so I thought I'd make some good old recycled crayons. Who doesn't need crayons after all?

First I gathered up my bits of crayons from past art classes taught, and melted them in my oven. Then came the fun part, splattering them into ice cube trays:







Here is the result, in their imperfect glory (it is good for perfectionists like me to do something messy now and again):



I got some little envelopes from Paper Source and covered them with my web site stickers:



Then packaged up the little guys so they were all ready to go:





This is what my ice cube tray looked like after:



It was not, unfortunately, the only thing in my kitchen to get melted, colored wax all over it (the stove, counter, pans and the floor got their fair share)... but like I said, its good therapy for someone like me, who spends quite a lot of her time sitting in front of a computer or painting teeny tiny pictures of bunnies.

3 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

I love this idea. Recycled crayons - I can't believe I never thought of it and I have an earth-friendly Friday post on my blog. I've thought of recycled candles - duh...

And I've been knitting like crazy for the holidays. You can see some of my projects here: ”Kim Kasch’s Blogspot”

Blue Rose Girls said...

Very cool. Even the messy ice cube tray is pretty! I bet everyone who got one of those packets smiled when she saw it and is glad to have it. Very good idea.
Libby

Z-Kids said...

Love it! We'll have to try...
Z-Dad