Friday, July 04, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY: High Desert July


On Monday, my husband and I returned from a trip to New Mexico. We flew out to the Southwest for the wedding of a relative. My husband and I spent several days at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya in the Santa Ana Pueblo…not far from Albuquerque. The resort was a beautiful and restful place to spend several days. We drove to Santa Fe and Old Town in Albuquerque to do some sightseeing and shopping and to visit museums. My husband and I went for a ride in a hot air balloon ride last Friday morning. What a thrill! It was our second time viewing the land below from a basket in the sky. I loved New Mexico and hope to return some day.

(You can see some pictures of the resort where we stayed and our balloon adventure here.)

For Poetry Friday on the Fourth of July, I selected High Desert July, which was written by a New Mexican poet named Cynthia Gray.


From High Desert July
By Cynthia Gray

Wind
dancing through
garden chimes
brings the fresh-smelling
herald
of the summer rains
to these Sangre de Cristo Mountains
and the mesa
with the Spanish saint’s name
hovering protectively
over my home

Thunder and chimes
sing a symphony
with
tin-roof percussion
counterpoint


You can read the rest of this poem here.

********************

At Wild Rose Reader, I have a poem for Independence Day entitled Fourth of July Parade.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at In Search of Giants.
***************

2 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Ah, I can just about hear that storm break over the roof. Refreshing!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous poem. The use of specific but really accessible words put me in mind, somehow, of Rebecca Kai Dotlich's style, too.

And it almost made me want to go to this area, which is a miracle. I've been to the Phoenix area once and absolutely despised it. Desert landscape is NOT for me. But this poem is:>)