Friday, September 18, 2009

crappy sketches

I'm sure you've seen other sketches by the group members for their books... but I don't think you've ever seen mine. Well here's one for you:



Pretty crappy, eh? I do as little as possible--that's my admission. The reason is 1) I don't want to waste time 2) I want to stay inspired for the finish and 3) I like to surprise myself while painting. If I do a sketch that's too polished I"ll lose all of that. I also sometimes see artist's sketches and think they're better than the finishes! That's a scary thing.

meghan

3 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

Meghan! I loved seeing this -- and I absolutely agree about saving surprises; in writing as well as painting. WIthout that, the finish is more like washing dishes -- no, something that takes much longer and is really boring -- than writing.

This sketch has so much LIFE.

Anna Alter said...

I need to be more like you and leave my sketches rough... I always want to then get worried no one can read them but me.

Meghan McCarthy said...

Believe me, if no one else can tell what's going on they'll tell you and then you'll have to redo the thing! There is a fine line between messy legible and messy illegible.