Wednesday, September 02, 2009

get some good karma!

Usually, I try to avoid goodreads like the plague. For authors, visiting book discussion sites & reading amazon reviews are exercises in masochism. Yet, strangely, we are constantly drawn to them in spite of this. Why? Are we all secret gluttons for punishment?

I confess I go because of that secret, small hope to see something nice written about my book. Because when that happens, it is amazing. During my last fearful and furtive goodreads look at Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, I saw that a lovely Laura wrote "The author uses Chinese folktales to tell the story of how Minli find the secret of happiness. If I could write a book, this is the kind of book I would like to write," and suddenly I felt as if the sun was shining on me. Nothing makes an author feel more like life is worth living when they realize that their work has connected in the way they wished.

So, if you are looking for a way to get some good karma, take 5 minutes and write a review of your favorite book. It will make someone's day, I promise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jarrett J. Krosoczka said...

Grace, GREAT post. It's always the harsh reviews that we remember and I've seen some harsh ones on these sites.

The worst is somebody gave my book one star and commented that her copy was autographed. Another said that one of my books was so poorly written it made her shudder...

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a great idea! I will go and do that for someone now =)