Friday, February 20, 2009

Will You Marry Me?



On Valentine’s Day, my daughter’s boyfriend Jerry brought her to the top of a mountain in New Hampshire and proposed to her. My husband Mike and I are thrilled. Sara and Jerry are a great twosome!
The Ring!


There are times I get a bit nostalgic thinking about my daughter’s childhood and how much fun Mike and I had watching her grow and change and experience life. She is ready for the next big “life” step—marriage.


Sara at Three


Sara--All Growed Up!!!


Here’s a poem I’m posting today in honor of the newly engaged couple.

A Red, Red Rose
by Robert Burns

O my Luve is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June;
O my Luve is like the melody
That’s sweetly played in tune.

So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;
I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve!
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
Though it were ten thousand mile.

********************

At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original rhyming acrostic.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at The Holly and the Ivy.

20 comments:

Grace Lin said...

Wow! Congrats! So happy for you, Sara and lucky Jerry!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Grace! Now we have to plan the wedding.

Both Sara and Jerry are lucky to have found each other.

Tricia said...

Heaps of congratulations to Sara. I imagine this must be a bittersweet moment. Do watching them grow up ever get any easier? (Please say yes!)

Love the ring!

jama said...

Congrats to all! Have fun planning the wedding :). Sara and the ring are beautiful!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

Now that Sara has settled into adulthood comfortably--we have the best mother/daughter relationship we've ever had. I take great pride in the outstanding person she has become. She's an extremely hard worker and one of the funniest people I know. Mike and I love getting together with her and Jerry and their dog and cat--and we're happy to be expanding our family.

It can be bittersweet to look back at times--but I'm so happy with the ways things are now that I don't know if I'd turn the clock back if I could.


Jama,

Thanks...I think she's beautiful too! Jerry had the engagement ring specially made for her.

Yat-Yee said...

Congratulations! My daughter is only 8 but I've already had moments of panic about her growing too fast. But so many moms have told me their relationships with their grown daughters are wonderful. I know I'll be nostalgic but I also know I'll enjoy each new season.

Nothing like an old fashioned poetry to celebrate love (or should I say luve?)

Anonymous said...

My oldest daughter once asked me if it made me sad to see her growing up. I said, no, it made me happy. Isn't that the point of all my work?

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the Burns (and your family's happiness).

tanita✿davis said...

Ah, Robbie Burns, perfect. Congratulations, mom-in-law to be!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Yat-Yee,

Eight is such a wonderful age. I spent most of my years in education teaching seven and eight year olds. I will say that the teenage years were a tad trying.


Jennifer,

It made me both sad and happy to watch my Sara grow up. When Sara was five, she lost her first tooth. That brought tears to my eyes.


Tanita,

Thanks. Jerry has a wonderful family--and Sara has become close friends with Jerry's three older sisters.

Author Amok said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations to all of you.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Author Amok! We're looking forward to the wedding in 2010.

Meghan McCarthy said...

Tell her I said congrats! She probably doesn't remember me, but I think we were sitting at the same table?

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Meghan. Oh...Sara remembers you. You're hard to forget. You were so funny that night!

laurasalas said...

Lovely Burns poem. I love the melancholy feeling implicit in it near the end.

Congrats to Sara and Jerry, and to you on the new family member! And, Elaine, I hope you're feeling better and writing more poetry soon!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Laura,

Mike and I are happy to welcome Jerry to our tribe. He's a great guy.

I'm still trying to kick this second respiratory infection of 2009.

Mary Lee said...

Congrats to all!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Mary Lee! Now I have to put my wedding-planning hat on.

Annie Patterson said...

How romantic! A mountain top proposal!
She looks like you, so much! Beautiful girl, beautiful ring~Congratulations!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Annie,

Thanks! My Sara has grow into an amazing young woman. She has a very difficult job and works at it with conscientiousness and determination. Fortunately, she has a terrific sense of humor and can laugh at life. I can't wait to see her as a bride.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.