Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Highlights from last weekend



So last Saturday was the first book launch for Priscilla at the Wellesley Booksmith, a really fabulous little independent book store just outside Boston. The author and I had a jolly old time! Even though I'm very familiar with the story, it was really interesting to hear Anne talk about her research and how she discovered the details of Priscilla's life. It is so difficult to get recorded details from that era about someone who was a slave... even simple things like her age had contradictory records! Totally fascinating.

For my part I mainly spoke about how I researched Priscilla as a character, how I incorporated reference materials and tried to make things like clothing and setting historically accurate- loyal blog readers will remember posts like this and this. (Please pardon the totally nerdy pic!)



I displayed a lot of process work from making the book; different sketch versions of the jacket, photos of kids that inspired me, the different versions of the book dummy.



Here is me and Anne after our talk. This is the first time I've actually met an author I've worked with in person! Usually they are miles away...



If you missed last Saturday, we'll be doing it all again this weekend at Jamaicaway Books, a great multicultural bookstore in my dearly beloved neighborhood of Jamaica Plain. Details below!

February 16th at 3:00 pm
Jamaicaway Books
676 Centre Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
(617) 983-3204

Kids welcome!

3 comments:

Libby Koponen said...

I'm happy to say that OUR fabulous local bookstore, Bank Street Books in Mystic, had ordered PRISCILLA. I bought my copy today and just finished reading it again and admiring the beautiful, beautiful paintings.

They made me cry.

Libby Koponen said...

PS I know all of the readers of this blog have been admiring them all along. But they are even more beautiful in person: the colors are deeper and clearer.

Meghan McCarthy said...

I'm glad it went well! I know you were nervous about it. I can't wait to get my own copy!

meghan