Friday, March 19, 2010

POETRY FRIDAY: Spring Acrostics


Last September, I was reading through all the acrostic poems that I had written. Several of them touched on the theme of spring. That gave me the idea to write an entire collection of spring acrostics that would take readers through the season from March to June. My collection now contains twenty-one poems. It includes acrostics about the following subjects: hibernation, crocus, bud, sky, peeper, showers, puddles, mud, seeds, apple tree, pollen, nectar, and dragonfly. Some of the acrostics still need a bit of work.

As spring is waiting at the door, I thought I’d post the first and second poems in the collection, which is tentatively titled Spring into Words: A Season in Acrostics.

Maybe I’ll
Arrive
Roaring like a lion and
Chase spring away with my frosty breath until I
H
ear April purring in my ear.



How long have
I slept? How long has it
Been since I’ve
Eaten? I hear the river running again. I must
Rouse my cubs from their slumber
Now…open their eyes to the wonders of spring,
Awaken them to a new life. It is
Time to take my children out
Into the sunlight,
Out into a brighter world they’ve
Never known.


********************
At Wild Rose Reader, I have reviews and excerpts from three excellent picture books in verse that are perfect for reading aloud at this time of year: Bear Wnats More; Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud; and Waddle, Waddle, Quack, Quack, Quack.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Some Novel Ideas.

4 comments:

jama said...

I love the name of your collection! Wonderful poems -- you've definitely made me want to read all of them :).

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I was surprised to find how many of the acrostics that I had previously written touched on the subject of spring. The two acrostics I posted here today are new ones I wrote for the collection. I'm glad you like the title of the poetry collection.

Mary Lee said...

April has started purring in my ear! (Only 4 more school days until spring break!!!)

Elaine Magliaro said...

Mary Lee,

It was in the low seventies and sunny here yesterday--a perfect day! Unfortunately, I think we have a band of cool, wet weather headed our way.

Have a great vacation!