Sunday, February 18, 2007

JOYCE SIDMAN REDUX


Last November, I wrote a two-part blog piece about the poetry of Joyce Sidman. I thought this would be a good time to revisit those posts because Sidman is the first winner of the Cybils Award for Poetry for her outstanding book BUTTERFLY EYES.

Joyce Sidman: Poet & Scientist, Part I

Joyce Sidman: Poet & Scientist, Part II











I was most happy to serve as a member of the poetry-nominating panel. What a great experience it was to have thought-provoking discussions about children’s poetry with other bloggers who are also passionate about the subject.

Members of the poetry-nominating panel: Becky at Farm School, Sylvia at Poetry for Children, Eisha at 7-Imp, and Bruce at Wordswimmer. Susan at Chicken Spaghetti was our poetry panel coordinator.

Bruce posted a wonderful interview with Sidman, One Poet’s Process: Joyce Sidman, at Wordswimmer today.

You may want to check out Sylvia’s Poetry Friday post, Sidman Is Cybils Poetry Book Winner.

Hats off to our poetry judges!
Kelly Fineman, Wendy, Gregory K., Walter, and Jone

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elaine,
Thanks for the link. Sidman's poems make me want to run outside and leap into the nearest meadow to explore its hidden world of insects and plant life on my own. Oh, what a gift Sidman's given us!

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks for the link, Elaine! I hope all this buzz will lead even more people to Sidman's poetry. I love ALL her collections!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Bruce and Sylvia,

I am a real admirer of Sidman's work. I do believe she is one of the finest writers of children's poetry--ever. She is a true wordsmith and a master of the genre. I love all of her collections, too!