Thursday, February 01, 2007

Promotional tools

As you all may have noticed, I made a little video about how not to draw an alien. I did it to see if I could. I’d just gotten a video camera and had never used any film editing programs before. The “film” can of course be used for self-promotion but that’s not why I did it.

I told my friends I wanted to try making some other “films.” These friends happen to be RISD film/animation grads. Did they approve? No! They used the words “amateurish” and one said something about “I thought you had higher standards.” Basically what they told me was to stick to what I’m good at and stop trying to do new things.

On the one hand I can understand where they’re coming from. It would drive me NUTS if my film friends decided to make PBs. Of course, it would only drive me nuts if they thought they could sell those books to publishers and the books weren't any good (one of my animation friends is now doing PBs!) . I’m not trying to get into any film festivals, I assure you!

I had another idea—to make a kids’ song about my Mona Lisa book. I’m really enjoying making music these days. But will I be criticized for that? I’m I over stepping my bounds?

So here’s the question—is any press good press or is it bad when authors and illustrators try to do something non book-like and don’t excel to the highest standards? When I decided to make my Patty key chains I worried about this. People said “Just make them, who cares if they fall apart.” I responded with “But if they’re shoddily done then people will think my books are also!”

Those are my thoughts of the day. I may or may not make another comment about the ALA awards so stay tuned.

meghan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see. Actors write pbs (Billy Crystal, Jamie Lee Curtis, John Lithgow...); singers write pbs (Madonna, Will Smith...). I say make songs and films to your heart's content. While you're at it, feel free to take up a professional sport and shout about your books from the field. Athletes write pbs (Terrell Owens...).

As for not excelling at the secondary pursuit...well, ahem.

Do your thing Meghan, whatever it may be at the moment.

fusenumber8 said...

I'm a video blog addict at the moment, so basically you could draw a stick figure and make it dance with her left hand while playing the Battle Hymn of the Republic with your right and I STILL would link to it on my blog.

All videos are good videos. Especially if they are yours.

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks guys.

meghan

Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

I say MAKE VIDEOS! I think they are excellent promotional tools, even if they aren't "professional" by artsy standards. Okay...so maybe I'm addicted to making videos right now too :-) Have fun.

Linda S. Wingerter said...

if we all only did the things we were professional at we wouldn't be doing much. Let's see... I wouldn't be able to ice skate, twirl baton, sing in the shower, make a meal, or drive. Your video is fun! if it wasn't i had the option of stopping the youtube stream and moving on with my day without any harm done. Peeps take things too serious!